Disclaimer:

This blog explains how I keep bees. It works for me, it might not work for you. Use my methods at your own risk. Always wear protective clothing and use a smoker when working bees.

Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Yellow Sweet Clover

Sara from Red Wing took this pic of Yellow Sweet Clover blooming in Red Wing, MN. I saw some Yellow Sweet Clover blooming on Hwy 36 yesterday.
Sara thought it was a little early. I tend to agree. I thought it usually was blooming around June 15th. The old adage is:  that the nectar flow starts about 10 days after the first clover bloom is seen. That puts our main nectar flow starting around June 15th.
 Supers should be on over wintered colonies now. When the package bees from this spring are close to being done with drawing foundation, do a reversal if the top box is not full of honey. If the top box is heavy with honey do not do the reversal.
 Put two supers on the package bee hive.

Like Basil Furgala said "you can't make any honey if your supers are in the garage".