Disclaimer:

This blog explains how I keep bees. It works for me, it might not work for you. Use my methods at your own risk. Always wear protective clothing and use a smoker when working bees.

Search This Blog

Saturday, March 8, 2014

My Bees, they're ALIVE

Some of my bees have made it through the cold snap. I will go out and check their food stores and give them a pollen patty. I am confident now if they have enough food they should make it.
The pollen patty is placed right on the cluster of bees. If it is not on the bees,  they may not eat it and will not be able to feed their brood.

Leave the wax paper on both sides of the patty the bees will chew through it and the patty will stay fresher longer.

The bees should be given another patty every ten days or so. A strong overwintered colony may use four full patties or more before pollen is available.