Disclaimer:

This blog explains how I keep bees. It works for me, it might not work for you. Use my methods at your own risk. Always wear protective clothing and use a smoker when working bees.

Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

They did it right

I talked to a beekeeper from Sturgeon Lake today. She was telling me about her fabulous honey crop. They had three over wintered colonies, two packages and two divides. They followed their bees though spring feeding pollen patties. Divides happened in early May due to high bee population. Swarm control kept the bees from swarming and they all stayed home. The large populations in the overwintered colonies gave the beekeepers 600 lbs of honey off the strong colonies. The package bees and divides had about 100 lbs of extra honey total.
A crop of about 700 lbs. Through proper management, strong hives, enough rain and a little luck they proved that a big crop can happen.