Disclaimer:

This blog explains how I keep bees. It works for me, it might not work for you. Use my methods at your own risk. Always wear protective clothing and use a smoker when working bees.

Search This Blog

Sunday, April 24, 2011

The package is in, now what


Various stages of brood from young to almost ready to cap.



Eggs about a day old. Tough to see with the white on white contrast.
Note the pollen stored above the brood and the nectar glistening in the cells above the pollen.

The packages are in so now I am going to wait about 10 days to check for queen acceptance. This next check is the most important part to the success of the hive. I will be looking for a nice frame of eggs laid by the queen. There should be a concentric pattern hitting most of the cells. If there is no eggs I will close it up and check again in four days. If I don't see them then it is time for a queen and the hive did not accept the first one.