Disclaimer:

This blog explains how I keep bees. It works for me, it might not work for you. Use my methods at your own risk. Always wear protective clothing and use a smoker when working bees.

Search This Blog

Saturday, May 22, 2010

A real nice bear fence


Carnage left in the wake of the hive predator called "the bear"

The bear leaves very little after his visit other than debris , very similar to a tsunami


This is the new bear fence.



One of the beekeepers that had bear problems last week sent me some pictures of his colonies before and after the bear onslaught.
He used livestock panels from Fleet Farm. They are 16 ft long and 52 inches tall. There were 6 panels used, his yard is 16 feet by 32 feet. These are the deluxe model with the bottom foot of fence, the wire is close together, and that will keep out any skunks.
This type of fence is great because you can weed whip next to the wire and you won't wreck it with the weed whip.
He also used a 12 volt solar fencer.
I will say that this is probably one of the nicer bear fences I have seen. It will last a long time and should have virtually no maintenance other than the fencer battery.