Disclaimer:

This blog explains how I keep bees. It works for me, it might not work for you. Use my methods at your own risk. Always wear protective clothing and use a smoker when working bees.

Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

A Honey Bound Hive


Extractor set up in the beeyard to extract out a honeybound hive.

A beekeeper e-mailed me about not being able to split due to his hive was honey bound. Plugged with honey and no place for the queen to lay. This presents the problem that the hive will decline and the nectar flow will be a bust.
The colony had a good population but not much brood.
I suggested that he extract out the frames to give the queen a place to lay.
As the photo suggests he brought his extractor out to his hive and made it happen. He now has a hive with great potential and maybe some honey for his troubles.