Disclaimer:

This blog explains how I keep bees. It works for me, it might not work for you. Use my methods at your own risk. Always wear protective clothing and use a smoker when working bees.

Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

A note from a fellow beekeeper his hive update.

I received this e-mail from a fellow beekeeper. His hive is in perfect shape for April 1st. The pollen collection can change if it cools off. But his colony is right on track for a divide in May, the Maples will give up nectar to help bolster the stores from last year.

Hello Jim
Had a chance to work my hives yesterday and both made it through the winter, I know you like to keep up with the buzz so here’s a recap:
· Winter covers removed.
· Pollen patties placed 2 weeks ago had been consumed.
· Bees bringing in both pollen and nectar. I’m assuming pussy willow and maples with the olive green and bright yellow pollen.
I found the nectar part surprising for this early in the season.
· Eggs and larva in top frames of both hives and about 4 frames of honey. I’ll wait until the temps are in the 70’s to do a major check and bottom board clean up. Didn't want to chill the brood with how windy it was. People do read your blog!
· Put half a pollen patty on each.