Disclaimer:

This blog explains how I keep bees. It works for me, it might not work for you. Use my methods at your own risk. Always wear protective clothing and use a smoker when working bees.

Search This Blog

Saturday, March 13, 2010

I am putting on pollen patties


Pollen Patties are going on now.

I have begun putting pollen patties on. I am using the pre made Bee Pro patties with Pro Len and with Pro Health added to them. The patties go on with the wax paper on both sides keeping them from drying out. The bees will chew through the wax paper to get at the pollen substitute.
I am also checking my hives for food stores. If the top box is light with honey I also feed a pail of light 1:1 syrup. I am careful not to overfeed. To much syrup fills up the brood nest and cuts down on the brood rearing area. All I want to achieve in feeding is to give them ample syrup to keep the colony alive. Once the dandelions come out (around the first week of May) an overwintered colony can add 40 - 60 lbs of nectar. That will take the bees, hopefully, to the main nectar flow. During this spring build up it is important to monitor the nectar in the hive making sure it is sufficient.