Disclaimer:

This blog explains how I keep bees. It works for me, it might not work for you. Use my methods at your own risk. Always wear protective clothing and use a smoker when working bees.

Search This Blog

Friday, May 2, 2008

It Has Been a Week Since I Have Put In My Package Bees


Eggs in the cell

I put some package bees last week.
I have to go out and check for queen acceptance and to check the food.
Lighting a smoker I open the hive, taking out the first frame next to the side of the box. I slide the next one back and so forth.
My goal is the center frames. I want to look for eggs. If I see eggs I know my queen is laying.
I do not have to see the queen to know she is alive. If I see eggs that is good enough. I don't want to disturb hive activity more than I have to.
I put the frames back in. The same way they were when I went in to the hive.
I know the bees have accepted the queen.
If I don't see eggs I will close up the hive and look again on day 10 after installation. If I don't see eggs I know I need a queen.
I make sure I can get a queen than scan the frames for a queen. If she is not laying her abdomen is smaller than normal If I find her I pick her off the frame. I install a new one as soon as possible.